How to do Agile Estimates for SSRS report development?
Agile estimation is an art and it will take reasonable time to gain experience. These simple steps will help you out.
Step 1: Assess the complexity of the report by asking these high level questions
- How many sources have been involved?
- How many datasets need to be developed (Apprx) ?
- How many Tablix / Table can be expected ?
- How many parameters are needed to be generate the report ?
- Presentation and formatting requirements
- How many no of Sub Reports / Drill Down reports are associated with this report ?
Step 2: Now decide the story point (or use the T-shirt size estimation techniques)
General Guidelines from experts:
- As a general practice, it is accepted that the Development team will be in a better position to estimate after Sprint-2 or 3. Only after this time, the Sprint velocity can be used for future sprint planning.
- Avoid estimating like an expert. Always assume that a developer who has got reasonable experience will be doing the development.
- As a team, make use of the Sprint retrospectives and learn from mistakes.
Frequently Asked Questions:
- How to do the estimation for Sprint-1 ?
You could use previous experience to come up with a rough estimation.